Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Claws of the dragon (rawwwwwwr)

One day, Mom takes me over to the Michael's under the guise of something else. There she started helping me look for some decent claws. First we looked in the jewelry, so we could find some cheap charms or something. We might have used plastic bear claws, but Michael's didn't have them. They didn't have much in the jewelry section, either. From a video I had given her, she went to the back of the store and picked up a block of paperclay. It was here that she announced that she had decided to actually help me with the costume. Music to my ears, Mom. Quite frankly, I was going to run low on funds soon, and I don't know a single thing about sewing. ("Needle go through fabric." That's all I know.) So we went home with two bricks of paperclay, and some goodies for Mom's Swapbot - a tactic she has adopted to get rid of some junk and have fun at the same time.

I started doing the claws as per the video, wrapping foil around my fingers and building the clay on top. The cool thing about it is that it's water-soluble, just like real clay; put some water in your hand, and the paperclay flows nicely. What bugs me is that it completely dissolves with water, even after it dries. I was even able to take my sawdust and knead it back into a clay. Then I sanded them, sometimes adding more material for gap and hole filling. This is what I have now:



I have two more for wing thumbs and am in progress for a set of horns. Speaking of horns:

I ordered a set of costume horns off the 'net. Cost about 15$ including shipping. The problem with shopping for these on the internet is that people never post good pictures. Indeed, the spiral horns I had ordered were not symmetrical, as I had expected. Instead of being one left, one right, there were two lefts. And they were heavy. I decided not to use them and use my surplus paperclay to make horns. They're drying now, and they'll take a LOT of sanding. The tricky part will be getting them to sit well on the back of my head.

2 comments:

  1. So, as a proper Aunt should do, I am looking out for your safety. Be very very careful using the restroom wearing those claws!

    ReplyDelete